Reports provide performance data in the form of ad- or event-based reports about website visits and ads. They're unique because their APIs require that we query the data using a pre-defined report or by specifying a set of metrics and dimensions, rather than allowing us to extract all the underlying data of an account.
Fivetran supports replicating data from the following services:
- Adobe Analytics
- Apple App Store
- Apple Search Ads
- Campaign Manager
- Facebook Ads Insights
- Facebook Pages
- Google Ad Manager
- Google Ads
- Google Analytics
- Google Play
- Google Search Console
- Instagram Business
- LinkedIn Ad Analytics
- Microsoft Advertising
- Pinterest Ads
- Snapchat Ads
- Twitter Ads
- Verizon Media
If you'd like to integrate with another service, please reach out to support.
- Connect to service using OAuth if available. OAuth or Open Authorization lets you connect with Fivetran by directly logging into the application you're connecting with. It grants us restricted access to your account, and protects your sensitive information. We use it for all APIs that support it.
- Define the dimensions and metrics, or type of report that you want to pull from the service on the UI during configuration.
- Initial Dump of Data: Fivetran discovers all available standard and custom objects available, and automatically pulls all historical data for all objects that it has access to.
- Transform and Map Schema: Fivetran parses through all data, typecasting and mapping every column in the source object to a column in a corresponding destination table.
- Load: Fivetran automatically creates tables (one per integration) for each mapped source object. Fivetran populates these tables with the initial dump of data.
- Update: Fivetran incrementally updates each integration in batches, using a merge operation (upsert & insert). These batches run every 24 hours.
Each connection can map to a single table or multiple tables in a schema, depending on the service.
For services that only support exporting pre-aggregated reports, such as Google Analytics or Google Ads, Fivetran offers a report integration. A report connection only takes place at the table level. Each report connection (shown below in the blue connection icon circle) creates a single table inside of whichever schema you specify. You can add multiple tables to a single schema. All Fivetran report integrations are pull integrations.
A key difference between Fivetran's report integration, and its other pull integrations, is the amount of configuration required during setup. Because there is a virtually unlimited number of different available reports, you must select which report you would like to sync when adding the connection in Fivetran. Depending on the services, while integrating, you will be prompted to select the report types, columns, dimensions, or metrics that you would like to include for each report.
You can name the table, as it will appear in your destination, during configuration in the UI.
Excluding source datalink
You can decide what data to sync depending on the account type you connect. You can then limit the connection to whichever dimensions you select in the UI.
After the initial load of historical data, Fivetran only pulls incremental updates of any new or changed data from the source, adding an extra column to your tables:
- fivetran_synced (TIMESTAMP) indicates the start time of the job that synced this row.
To make these incremental updates, Fivetran maintains an internal set of progress cursors which is recorded when an update syncs successfully. This provides an air-tight handoff between syncs so that no data is ever missed. Because of this, Fivetran's system is extremely tolerant to service interruptions. If there is an interruption in your service, such as your destination going down, Fivetran will automatically resume syncing exactly where it left off after your destination is live again (even days or weeks later).
Frequency of updateslink
All reports sync new data once per day, at 3 am EST. A report sync that encounters an error is re-tried every 1 hour.
Deleted data is not really a concept in any of the Reporting APIs, so we do not propagate any deleted data to your destination.
Changes to tables are not possible in the current Fivetran reporting integration service, because small changes in metrics can result in drastic changes to the aggregation.
If you need a report that contains a different set of columns, its best to just create a new connection.