Google Analytics Setup Guide
Follow our setup guide to connect Google Analytics to Fivetran.
To connect Google Analytics to Fivetran, you need a Google User account with permissions to access Google Analytics accounts you'd like to sync.
Set up Fivetran connector
- Enter your chosen destination schema name in the connector setup form.
- Click Authorize and log into your Google Analytics account.
- Select how many months of reporting data you'd like to include in your initial sync.
- Choose the sync mode: Sync All Accounts or Sync Specific Accounts.
- Select the accounts that you'd like to sync.
- Select the profiles that you'd like to sync.
- Click Add report.
- Enter your chosen destination table name. It must be unique within the connector.
Note: Give the table a name you will find easy to identify with the report in the future. When you want to enable or disable the sync for a particular report once it is set up, you will do so by selecting its table in the connector's schema tab.
- Select the Configuration Type: Pre-built Report or Custom Report.
- If you choose Use Pre-built Report, select one of the available Prebuilt Reports you'd like to sync.
- If you choose Use Custom Report, select the dimensions and metrics that you'd like to sync.
- Click on the Show Advanced Options button if you want to customise your reports on selected parameters. Skip the next two bullet points if you do not want to use the advanced options.
- Enter the dimensions and/or metrics on which to filter, followed by the filter expression in the Filter text field. This will ensure that the reports are filtered on the basis of the selected parameters.
- Select the desired segments from the drop down list in the Segment field. This will ensure that the reports are generated on the basis of the selected segments.
- Click OK to save the report.
- If you want to add another report, repeat steps 7 — 13.
- Click Save & Test.
Start initial sync
When you create your connector, it will be paused. Follow these steps to start your initial sync:
- In your Fivetran dashboard, go to your new connector's Schema tab.
- Review the schema and configure the tables that will be synced.
- In the top right corner of the connector page, switch the toggle from Paused to Enabled.
Fivetran will take it from here and sync your data from your Google Analytics account.
Limits on queries
There is a Google-imposed limit of:
- 7 Dimensions (6 + the "Date" dimension, which is mandatory) per report
- 10 Metrics per report
Not all dimensions and metrics can be queried together. Only certain dimensions and metrics can be used together to create valid combinations. Our connector setup form will ensure combinations are valid. However, checking yourself beforehand will avoid any surprises.
Use these Google resources to pick your metrics and dimensions:
Test if the dimensions and metrics you wish to use can be combined in the same query using Google's Dimensions & Metrics Explorer.
Use the Google Analytics Query Explorer review the report yielded by a given combination of dimensions and metrics.